Geological Sciences Department and Environmental Studies Program
University of Colorado at Boulder
Boulder, CO 80309
Phone: (303) 492-6187, Fax: (303) 492-2606
1999 Ph.D., Department of Biological Sciences, Stanford University. Advisor, Dr. Peter Vitousek.
1993 B.A., Summa Cum Laude. Environmental, Population, and Organismic Biology Department, University of Colorado at Boulder, Colorado
|Academic Employment History|
2009-Present, Associate Professor, Geological Sciences and Environmental Studies Departments,
2003- 2009, Assistant Professor, Geological Sciences and Environmental Studies Departments
2002 - 2006, Research Ecologist, Earth Surface Processes Team, U.S. Geological Survey, Denver, CO 80225.
2000-2001, Mendenhall Postdoctoral Fellow, Earth Surface Processes Team, U.S. Geological Survey, Denver, CO 80225
1999 – Present, Scientist, Natural Resource Ecology Laboratory, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO and Adjunct Assistant Professor, Soil and Crop Sciences Department, Colorado State University
1995-1996, Teaching Assistant - Stanford University, Stanford, CA. Introduction to Ecology and Evolution, Global Change Biology, Theoretical Ecology
|Awards and Honors|
2008 ENVS Interdisciplinary Teaching Award and Residence Life Academic Teaching Award, CU Boulder
2004 A.W. Mellon Foundation, Conservation and Environment Junior Faculty Fellowship
2001 U.S. Geological Survey - Mendenhall Postdoctoral Fellow 1997 NASA Earth System Science - Predoctoral Fellow 1994 National Science Foundation - Predoctoral Fellow 1999 Outstanding Student Paper Award, Spring Meeting, Boston, MA, AGU 1998 Editor's citation for excellence in refereeing JGR- Atmospheres. AGU 1993 Outstanding Student Presentation: AGU, Front Range Meeting
1992 Phi Beta Kappa
Published or In Press
65. *Ballantyne, A.P., J. Brahney, D. Fernandez, C.L Lawrence, J. Saros, J.C. Neff. 2011 Biogeochemical response of alpine lakes to a recent increase in dust deposition in the Southwestern US. Biogeosciences. V8 (no 9): 2689-2706. DOI: 10.5194/bg-8-2689-2011.
64. Rangwala, I., J. Barsugli, K. *Cozzetto, J. Neff, J. Prarie. In press. Mid-21st Century Projections in Temperature Extremes in the Southern Colorado Rocky Mountains from Regional Climate Models. Climate Dynamics
63. Lawrence, C.L., J.C. Neff, and L. Farmer. 2011. The accretion of aeolian dust in soils of the San Juan Mountains, CO, USA. Journal of Geophysical Research –Earth Surface. V116. DOI: 10.1029/2010JF001899.
62. *Fan, Z., J.C. Neff, J. Harden, T. Zhang, H. Veldhuis, C.I. Czimczik, G.C. Winston, J.O’Donnell. 2011. Water and heat transport in boreal soils: Implications for soil response to climate change. Science of the Total Environment. V409(10): 1836-1842. DOI: 10.1015/j.scitotenv.2011.02.009.
61. *C.E. Stewart, J.C. Neff, K. Amatangelo, P.M. Vitousek. 2011. Vegetation effects on soil organic matter chemistry of aggregate fractions in a Hawaiian Forest. Ecosystems. V14(3): 382-397. DOI: 10.1007/s10021-011-9417-y.
60. N.N. Barger, H.D. Adams, C. Woodhouse, J.C. Neff, and G.P. Asner. 2010. Influence of Livestock Grazing and Climate on Pinyon Pine (Pinus edulis) Dynamics. Rangeland Ecology and Management. Vol. 62, No. 6, pp. 531-539.
59. N. M. Mahowald, S. Kloster, S. Engelstaedter, J. K. Moore, S. Mukhopadhyay, J. R. McConnell,S. Albani, S. C. Doney, A. Bhattacharya, M. A. J. Curran, M. G. Flanner, F. M. Hoffman, D. M. Lawrence, K. Lindsay, P. A. Mayewski , J. Neff, D. Rothenberg, E. Thomas, P. E. Thornton, C. S. Zender. 2010. Observed 20th Century desert dust variability: Impacts on climate and biogeochemistry. Atmos. Chem. Phys., 10, 10875-10893, 2010, doi:10.5194/acp-10-10875-2010.
58. K.P. Wickland, J.C. Neff, J Harden. 2010. The role of soil drainage class in carbon dioxide exchange and decomposition in boreal black spruce forest stands. Canadian Journal of Forest Research. Vol. 40 (11), pp 2123-2134.
57. *Z. Fan, J.C. Neff, K.P. Wickland. 2010, Modeling the production, decomposition, and transport of dissolved organic carbon in Boreal soils. Soil Science. 175 (5): 223-232.
56. C. Huang, G.P. Asner, N.N. Barger, J.C. Neff, and M.Lisa Floyd. 2010. Regional aboveground live carbon losses due to drought-induced tree dieback in pinon-juniper ecosystems. Remote sensing and environment. 114 (7): 1471-1479.
55. C.R. Lawrence, J.C. Neff, T. Painter, and C. Landry. 2010. Contemporary composition of Aeolian dust deposited in the San Juan Mountains, Colorado, USA. Journal of Geophysical Research, Biogeosciences, 115, GO3007. doi:10.1029/2009JG001077
54. S.E. Buckingham, J.C. Neff, B. Titiz-Maybach, and R.L Reynolds. 2010. Chemical and textural controls on phosphorus mobility in drylands of southeastern Utah. Biogeochemistry. DOI: 10.1007/s10533-010-9408-7
53. J.P. Field, J. Belnap, D.D. Breshears, J.C. Neff, G.S. Okin, J.J. Whicker, T.H. Painter, S. Ravi, M.C. Reheis, and R. L. Reynolds. The ecology of dust: local to global-scale perspectives. 2009 Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment. doi: 10.1890/090050
52. N.N. Barger, H.D. Adams, C. Woodhouse, J.C. Neff, G.P. Asner. 2009. Influence of livestock grazing and climate on Pinyon pine (pinus edulis) dynamics. Journal of Range Management.62 (6): 532-539
51. C.R. Lawrence, J.C. Neff and J.P. Schimel. 2009 Does adding microbial mechanisms of decomposition improve soil organic matter models? A comparison of four models using data from a pulsed rewetting experiment. Soil Biology and Biochemistry. 41(9), 1923-1934. Doi:10.1016/j.soilbio.2009.06.016
50. J.C. Neff, N.N. Barger, W.T. Baisden, D.P. Fernandez, G.P. Asner. 2009. Soil carbon storage responses to expanding pinyon-juniper populations in Southern Utah. Ecological Applications. 19(6): 1405-1416.
49. C.R. Lawrence, and J.C. Neff. 2009. The physical and chemical flux of eolian dust across the landscape: A synthesis of observations and an evaluation of spatial patterns. Chemical Geology. 10.1016/j.chemgeo.2009.02.005
48. S.C. Castle, and J.C. Neff. 2009. Plant response to nutrient availability across variable bedrock geologies. Ecosystems. 10.1007/s10021-008-9210-8.
47. Huang, C., G.P. Asner, R. Martin, N.Barger, and J.C. Neff. 2009. Multi-Scale Analysis of Tree Cover and Aboveground Biomass in Pinyon-Juniper Woodlands of the Colorado Plateau, USA. Ecological Applications. 10.1890.97-2103.1
46. A.O'Donnell, M.R. Turresky, J.W. Harden, K.L. Manies, L.E. Pruett, G. Shetler, and J.C. Neff. 2009. Interactive effects of fire, soil climate and vegetation on CO2 fluxes in a black spruce forest and peatland in interior Alaska. Ecosystems. 10.1007/s10021-008-9206-4
45. *A.S. Grandy, R.L. Sinsabaugh, J.C. Neff, M. Sturstova, D.R. Zak. 2008. Molecular carbon chemistry and enzyme activities in soil fractions: ecosystem specific responses to N fertilization. Biogeochemistry. 10.1007/s10533-008-9257-9
44. *Z. Fan, J.C. Neff, J. Harden, and K.P. Wickland. 2008. Boreal soil carbon dynamics under a changing climate: a model inversion approach. JGR - Biogeosciences. 113, G04016, doi:10.1029/2008JG000723
43. D.R. Nemergut, A.R. Townsend, S.R. Sattin, K. Freeman, N. Fierer, J.C. Neff, W.D. Bowman, C.W. Schadt, M.N. Weintraub, S.K. Schmidt. 2008. The effects of chronic nitrogen fertilization on alpine tundra soil microbial communities: implications for carbon and nitrogen cycling. Environmental Microbiology. DOI: 10.1111/j.1462-2920.2008.01735.x
42. S.K. Schmidt, S.C. Reed, D.R. Nemergut, *A.S. Grandy, C.C. Cleveland, M.N. Weintraub, A.W. Hill, E.K. Costello, A.F. Meyer, A.M. Martin, J.C. Neff.. 2008. The Earliest Stages of Microbial Ecosystem Succession in High-Elevation, Recently Deglaciated Soils. Proceedings of the Royal Society, B. DOI: 10.1098/rspb.2008.0808
41. J.C. Neff, *A.P. Ballantyne, G.L. Farmer, N.M. Mahowald, J.L. Conroy, C.C. Landry, J.T. Overpeck, T.H. Painter, C.R. Lawrence, and R.L. Reynolds. 2008. Increasing eolian dust deposition in the western United States linked to human activity. Nature - Geosciences. doi:10.1038/ngeo133
40. *Grandy, A.S., and J.C. Neff. (2008). Molecular C Dynamics Downstream: The Biochemical Decomposition Sequence and its Impact on Soil Organic Matter Structure and Function. Science of the Total Environment. doi:10.1016.j.scitotenv.2007.11.013
39. Goldstein, H.L., Reynolds, R.L., Reheis, M.C., Yount, J.C., and Neff, J.C. (2008). Compositional trends in eolian dust along a transect across the southwestern United States. Journal of Geophysical Research - Earth Surface. doi:10.1029/2007JF000751
38. Wickland K.P., J.C. Neff and G.R. Aitken. (2008) Dissolved organic carbon in the boreal forest: Sources, Chemistry and Biodegradability. Ecosystems. DOI:10.1007/s10021-007-9101-4.
37. K.P. Wickland and J.C. Neff (2008). Decomposition of black spruce forest soils: environmental and chemical controls. Biogeochemistry. 10.1007/s10533-007-9166-3
36. C. Wiedinmyer and J.C. Neff. (2007). Estimates of CO2 from fires in the United States: Implications for Carbon Management. Carbon Balance and Management. 2:10
35. Fernandez, D.P., J.C. Neff, and R.L. Reynolds. (2007) Biogeochemical and ecological impacts of livestock grazing in semi-arid Southeastern Utah, USA. Journal of Arid Environments. doi:10.1016/j.jaridenv.2007.10.009
34. *A.S. Grandy, J.C. Neff, and M.N. Weintraub. (2007) Carbon structure and enzyme activities in alpine and forest ecosystems. Soil Biology and Biochemistry. v39: 2701-2711.
33. Prior, C.A., W.Troy Baisden, F. Bruhn, and J.C. Neff. (2007) Identifying the optimal soil fractions for modeling soil carbon dynamics in New Zealand. Radiocarbon. 49 (2) 1093-1102
32. T. H. Painter, A. P. Barrett, C. C. Landry, J. C. Neff, M. P. Cassidy, C. R. Lawrence, K. P. Thatcher, and G.L. Farmer. 2007. Impact of disturbed desert soils on duration of mountain snowcover. Geophysical Research Letters . V34, 12, L12502, 10.1029/2007GL030208.
31. Williams, C.A., N.P. Hanan, J.C. Neff, R.J.Scholes, J. Berry, A.S. Denning, and D.F. Baker. (2007) Africa and the global carbon cycle. Carbon Balance and Management. 2:3 (07 Mar 2007)
30. Neff, J.C., J. Finlay, S.A. Zimov, S.P. Davydov, J.J. Carrasco, E.A.G. Schuur, and A.I. Davydov. (2006). Seasonal changes in the age and structure of dissolved organic carbon in Siberian rivers and streams. Geophysical Research Letters. 33 (23), L23401, 10.1029/2006GL028222.
29. Randerson, J.T., H. Liu, M.G. Flanner, S.D. Chambers, Y. Jin, P.G. Hess, G. Pfister, M.C. Mack, K.K. Treseder, L.R. Welp, F.S. Chapin, J.W. Harden, M.L. Goulden, E. Lyons, J.C. Neff, E.A.G. Schuur, and C.S. Zender. (2006). The impact of boreal forest fire on climate warming. Science. V314 (5802): 1130-1132.
28. Dutta, K., E.A.G. Schuur, J.C. Neff, and S.A. Zimov. (2006) Potential carbon release from permafrost soils of Northeastern Siberia. Global Change Biology. 12(12), 2336-2351. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2486.2006.01259.x
27. Harden J. W., K. L. Manies, M.R. Turetsky, and J. C. Neff. (2006) Effects of wildfire and permafrost on soil organic matter and soil climate in interior Alaska. Global Change Biology. 12(12) 2391-2403, doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2486.2006.01255.x
26. Chapin, F.S. III, G.M Woodwell, J.T. Randerson, G.M. Lovett, E.B. Rastetter, D.D. Baldocchi, D.A. Clark, M.E. Harmon, D.S. Schimel, R. Valentini, C. Wirth, J.D. Aber, J.J. Cole, M.L. Goulden, J.W. Harden, M. Heimann, R.W. Howarth, P.A. Matson, A.D. McGuire, J.M. Melillo, H.A. Mooney, J.C. Neff, R.A. Houghton, M.L. Pace, M.G. Ryan, S.W. Running, O.E. Sala, W.H. Schlesinger, and E.-D. Schulze. (2006). Reconciling Carbon Cycle Concepts, Terminology, and Methodology. Ecosystems. 9(7): 1041-1050.
25. Neff J.C., R. Reynolds, R.L. Sanford, Jr., D. Fernandez, and P. Lamothe. (2006) Controls of bedrock geochemistry on soil and plant nutrients in Southeastern Utah. Ecosystems. 9(6): 879-893
24. Reynolds, R.L., M.C. Reheis, J.C. Neff, H. Goldstein, and J. Yount. (2006) Late Quaternary eolian dust in surficial deposits of a Colorado Plateau Grassland: Controls on distribution and ecologic effects. Catena V66(3) 251-266.
23. Finlay J. P, J.C. Neff, S. Zimov, A. Davydova, and S. Davydov. (2006) Snowmelt dominance of dissolved organic carbon in high-latitude watersheds: implications for characterization and flux of river DOC. Geophysical Research Letters, Vol. 33, No. 10, L10401
22. Fernandez D. P., J.C. Neff, J. Belnap, and R. L. Reynolds. (2006) Soil respiration in a cold desert environment: abiotic regulators and thresholds. Biogeochemistry, 78(3): 247-265
21. *Carrasco, J.J., J.C. Neff, and J.W. Harden. (2006) Modeling the long term accumulation of carbon in boreal soils. Journal of Geophysical Research – Biogeosciences. 111, Art. No. G02004, doi:10.1029/2005JG000087
20. Wickland K.P., R.G. Striegl, J.C. Neff and T. Sachs.(2006) Effects of permafrost melting on CO2 and CH4 exchange of a poorly drained black spruce lowland. Journal of Geophysical Research - Biogeosciences. 111, G02011, doi:10.1029/2005JG000099
19. Rosenbloom N.A, J. W. Harden, J. C. Neff, and D. S. Schimel (2006), Geomorphic control of landscape carbon accumulation. Journal of Geophysical Research - Biogeosciences,111, G01004, doi:10.1029/2005JG000077.
18. Reynolds R., J.C. Neff, M. Reheis, and P. Lamothe. (2006) Atmospheric dust in modern soil on aeolian sandstone, Colorado Plateau (USA): Variation with landscape position and contribution to potential plant nutrients. Geoderma 130:108-123
17. Neff J.C., R. Reynolds, J. Belnap, and P. Lamothe. (2005) Multi-decadal impacts of grazing on soil physical and biogeochemical properties in Southeast Utah. Ecological Applications, v15 (1), 87-95
16. Neff J.C., J.W. Harden, and G. Gleixner. (2005) Fire effects on soil organic matter content and composition in boreal interior Alaska. Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 35(9): 2178-2187
15. Cleveland C.C., J.C. Neff, A.R. Townsend, and E. Hood. (2004) Composition, dynamics, and fate of leached dissolved organic matter in terrestrial ecosystems: Results from a decomposition experiment. Ecosystems. 7:275-285
14. Harden, J. W. J.C. Neff, D.V. Sandberg, M.R. Turetsky, R. Ottmar, G. Gleixner, T.L. Fries, K.L. Manies (2004) Chemistry of burning the forest floor during the FROSTFIRE experimental burn, interior Alaska, 1999 Global Biogeochemical Cycles, Vol. 18, No. 3, GB3014 10.1029/2003GB002194 28 August 2004
13. Neff J.C., F.S. Chapin III and P.M. Vitousek. (2003) The role of dissolved organic nitrogen in nutrient retention and plant mineral nutrition; reconciling observations with ecological theory. Frontiers in Ecology and Environmental Science. 1(4): 205-211.
12. Neff J.C., A.R. Townsend, G. Gleixner, S. Lehman, J. Turnbull, and W. Bowman (2002). Variable effects of nitrogen additions on the stability and turnover of soil carbon. Nature. 419: 915-917
11. Neff J.C. and D.U. Hooper (2002) Vegetation and climate controls on the potential production of CO2, DOC and DON production in northern latitude soils. Global Change Biology. 8: 872-884.
10. Neff J.C., E.A. Holland, F.J. Dentener, W.H. McDowell, and K.M.Russel (2002). Atmospheric organic nitrogen; Implications for the global N cycle. Biogeochemistry. 57/58: 99-136.
9. Randerson J.T., F.S. Chapin III, J.W. Harden, J.C. Neff , and M.E. Harmon (2002) Scaling terrestrial net carbon fluxes:A definition of net ecosystem production (NEP) that includes disturbance and non-CO2 carbon fluxes. Ecological Applications 12(4): 937-947.
8. Asner G.P., A.R. Townsend, W.J. Riley, P.A. Matson, J.C. Neff and C.C. Cleveland (2001). Physical and biogeochemical controls of terrestrial ecosystem responses to nitrogen deposition. Biogeochemistry 54: 1-39
7. Neff J.C. and G.P. Asner. (2001) Dissolved organic carbon in terrestrial ecosystems: Synthesis and a model. Ecosystems. 4(1): 29-48
6. Holland E.A., J.C. Neff, A.R. Townsend and R. McKeown. (2001). Variability in the temperature response of decomposition in sub-tropical and tropical soils. Global Biogeochemical Cycles.14(4): 1137-1153
5. Neff J.C., S.E. Hobbie and P.M. Vitousek (2000) Controls over the production and stoichiometry of dissolved organic carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus in tropical soils. Biogeochemistry, 51 (3):283-302
4. Silver W., J.C. Neff, E. Veldkamp, M. McGroddy, & M. Keller (2000) Patterns in soil chemical properties and root biomass along a soil texture gradient in a lowland Amazonian tropical forest. Ecosystems, 003(02): 0193-0209
3. Weitz A., E. Veldkamp, M. Keller, J.C. Neff, and P. Crill. (1998). Nitrous Oxide, Nitric Oxide and Methane Fluxes from Soils Following Clearing and Burning of Tropical Secondary Forest, Journal of Geophysical Research – Atmospheres.
2. Neff J.C., M. Keller, E.A. Holland, A. Weitz and E. Veldkamp (1995) Fluxes of nitric oxide from soils following the clearing and burning of a secondary tropical rain forest. Journal of Geophysical Research - Atmospheres, 100(D12) 25,913-25,922.
1. Neff J.C., W. Bowman, E.A. Holland, M. Fisk and S. Schmidt (1994) Fluxes of nitrous oxide and methane from nitrogen amended soils in a Colorado alpine ecosystem. Biogeochemistry, 27:23- 33.
Contract with Pearson Higher Education Publishing for ‘A Changing Planet: The Science of Sustainability’, estimated publication date 2013.
Peer-Reviewed Book Chapters
Parton W.J., J.C. Neff and P.M. Vitousek. (2005) Modeling phosphorus dynamics in terrestrial ecosystems. ( In Organic Phosphorus and the Environment ( BL Turner, E Frossard, ETH Lindau, DS Baldwin eds) Oxford University Press. 350 pages. pp 325-347
Aitkenhead-Peterson J., W.H. McDowell and J.C. Neff (2002). Sources, Production and Regulation of allochthonous dissolved organic matter. In (S. Findlay and R. Sinsabaugh, Eds.), Aquatic Ecosystems, interactivity of dissolved organic matter. Academic Press, Amsterdam, pp 26-70.
Other Publications (non peer reviewed)
Ollinger S., G. Ågren, B. Berg, E. Davidson, C. Field, M. Lerdau, J. Neff, O. Sala,M. Scholes, and R. Sterner. (2003) New frontiers in the study of element interactions. In Interactions of the Major Biogeochemical Cycles (Melillo, Field and Moldan eds.). pp 63-91.
Neff, J.C. and L.O. Hedin (2002). Building a Home for the Biogeosciences: Challenges for Understanding Terrestrial Ecosystems. EOS 83: 165-166.
Gurney K.R. and J. Neff. (2000). "Carbon Sequestration Potential in Canada, Russia, and the United States Under Article 3.4 of the Kyoto Protocol," World Wildlife Fund.
Vitousek P.M., P.A. Matson, L.O. Hedin, J. Fownes and J.C. Neff (1998). Within-system element cycles, input-output budgets and nutrient limitation. In (P. Groffman and M. Pace, Eds.), Successes, Limitations and Frontiers in Ecosystem Ecology. Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
Neff J.C. (1996). Regulating nitrogen oxide emissions. In Elements of Change. Aspen Global Change Institute (S.J. Hassol and J. Katzenberger eds.). P 239-240.
US Department of Agriculture. 2011-2014. Carbon Management on public lands in the intermountain west: multi-scale analysis of carbon stock responses to human and natural disturbance. (PI) $617,296
National Science Foundation. 2009-2011. EAGER: Land use and climatic controls on dust deposition. (PI) $250,681.
National Science Foundation. 2010-2012. Acquisition of Liquid Chromatography and Sample Preparation Instrumentation for Enhanced Reconstruction of Quaternary Environmental Change (co-PI) $203,444
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. 2009-2011. Climate change impacts on the ecosystems of the Colorado Plateau. (PI) $100,000
Department of Interior, Bureau of Land Management. 2009-2010. Carbon management and climate change adaptation on public lands. (PI) $91,850
U.S. Geological Survey - Rocky Mountain Cooperative Ecosystem Study Unit: 2009-2014. Modeling climate impacts on boreal soils. $180,000
U.S. Department of Interior, Bureau of Land Management - Rocky Mountain Cooperative Ecosystem Study Unit: 2009-2011. Evaluation of downscaled climate models for use in land management in the Four Corners region. $98,000
A.D. Mellon Foundation. 2008-2012. Nitrogen Inputs and Cycling in Ecosystems of the Western Cape Province of South Africa. (PI) $294,000.
US Department of Energy: 2006-2009. The Role of Boreal and Arctic Soils in Climate Feedbacks; Model Development and Testing (PI), $335,656.
US Geological Survey - Rocky Mountain Cooperative Ecosystem Study Unit: 2005-2011. Geo-ecology of the Colorado Plateau. $125,000
A.D. Mellon Foundation Junior Faculty Fellowship in Conservation and the Environment: 2004-2008. The role of essential elements in ecosystem structure and function. $290,000
National Aeronautic and Space Administration: 2004-2007. The role of Africa in terrestrial carbon exchange and atmospheric CO2: Reducing regional to global uncertainty in the carbon cycle. Co-PI, Collaborative with Niall Hanan (CSU) and Joe Berry (Carnegie Institute of Global Ecology), $125,000 ($650,000 total)
National Aeronautic and Space Administration: 2005-2008. Regional carbon storage responses to woody encroachment in western pinyon-juniper systems (NASA). Co-PI, Collaborative with Greg Asner (Carnegie) and Nichole Barger (CU). $275,000 ($600,000 total)
National Science Foundation – Division of Environmental Biology: 2005-2008. Collaborative Research: Fern Biogeochemistry and Ecosystem Stoichiometry. PI (CU), Collaborative with Vitousek PI (Stanford). $150,000 ($450,000 total)
National Science Foundation – Molecular and Cellular Biosciences: 2005-2011. Microbial Observatories: Niwot Ridge Alpine Site. Co-PI with Schmidt (PI), Martin (Co-PI) and Guralnik (Co-PI), $120,000 ($1,700,000 total)
National Science Foundation – Long Term Ecological Research Program. 2004-2008. Niwot Ridge Long term ecological research site. Senior Personnel. ~$15,000 per year to Neff
NSF - OPP/RAISE: 2001-2005. Collaborative research, a measurement program in Siberia to assess disturbance-driven changes in arctic carbon balance (Neff PI – USGS portion). Collaborative with Jim Randerson (UC Irvine) and Terry Chapin (UAF), $167,000 ($1,100,000 total)
National and International
Professional Society Service
Ecological Society of America Rapid Response Team - Biogeochemistry (2004-)
Co-Author ESA - Climate change and Nuclear energy policy statements (2009 and 2010)
ESA Membership Committee (1999-2001)
AGU Biogeosciences Steering Committee (1999-2004)
Session Chair for 7 AGU sessions 1999-2004
Session Chair/co-organizer for 2005 ESA symposium
EOS Transactions, Biogeosciences Editor (2000-2003)
Journal of Geophysical Research Biogeosciences Associate Editor (2005-2010)
Ecosystems Associate Editor (2010-present)
Advisory Boards & Review Panels
NSF Ecosystem Studies Review Panel (Spring 2006, Fall, 2006, Fall, 2011), DOE Program review – Carbon cycle and climate change programs at the National Labs (Summer, 2009), National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS) Science Advisory Board (2002-2005). Review Panel – National environment research council 5 year review of the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology in Swindon, UK, October 4-5, 2004
Workshops (invited participant since 2001)
DOE carbon cycle program writing team, Washington DC, Spring 2008. Water: Challenges at the Intersection of Human and Natural Systems NSF/DOE workshop, Richland WA, Batelle National Lab (2005). NCEAS Microbes and Ecosystems working group (2003-2004). SCOPE Multiple Element Interactions project (2002).
Reviews (>60 in the past three years)
Arctic and Alpine Research, Biogeochemistry, Catena, Canadian Journal of Forest Research, Catena, Ecology, Ecological Applications, Ecology Letters, Ecosystems, European Journal of Soil Science, Geoderma, Geophysical Research Letters, Global Change Biology, International Journal of Wildland Fire, JGR-Atmospheres, JGR-Biogeosciences, Journal of the Soil Science Society of America, Journal of Range Management, Journal of Arid Environments, Nature, Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics, Oecologia, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Quaternary International, Science, Soil Biology and Biochemistry, Water Resources Research.
NSF Geosciences and Biology directorates, NASA Earth Systems Science program, Kearney Soil Science Program, ACS-Petroleum research fund, CAL-FED.
ENVS Graduate Director and Associate Chair (2005-2006, 2010 to present), ENVS Executive Committee (2007-present), ENVS Graduate committee (2003-2006), ENVS Biogeoscience core director (2003-present). Faculty co-coordinator for the San Juan Collaboratory 2008-2010, Beverley Sears Graduate student grant committee, 2006 and 2007. Geology Honors Council Representative (Fall 07-09) Geology Executive Committee (Fall 06-08), Geology Program Review Undergrad committee (Fall 03-Spring 04), Geology Geochemistry search committee (Fall 04/Spring 05), Geology Undergraduate Curriculum committee (Spring 03-Spring 05).
|Outreach and Communication|
Interviews Nature Magazine, Earth Magazine, Wall Street Journal
Interview, KGNU Radio, May 14, 2010, Aspen Public Radio, May 12, 2010, 9news (Denver NBC Affiliate), May 16
Prior to 2010
Research reported in the New York Times, National Public Radio, Colorado Public Radio, Associated Press, Reuters, and numerous national and international newspapers.